Skip to main content

Thanksgiving 2019


“I am grateful for what I am and have.
My thanksgiving is perpetual.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  This is the day of the year where we often eat too much and watch too much football. It is also a day to give thanks.  So, before the turkey is served, and before the games begin, I count the many blessings in my life. 

First, comes my family.  With me or without, my family is a wonderful group of folks.  All are good people doing good things, working to be better, sacrificing for others, and helping their friends. It is my honor to be among you.   I am always grateful for my parents, both good people who helped me no end in those early years, pointing me in the directions of good works, morality, honesty, and strength of character.

The second is my life, as in I still have one. Because my dad died so young, I thought the same would be my fate.  But now decades later I’m still here, and with a detour or two have my health – which I do appreciate for which I’m most grateful.

 I’m also thankful I have sufficient resources to carry on without too much scrimping (a word taught me by my mom), knowing wealth does not make you happier. I’m still writing, thinking, reading, and generally doing, and I’m grateful I still want to. I even have some old friends wanting to take up new professional projects. Not bad!   Being passive is no way to be.  

And I’m most thankful that I have hope for the future.  Hope for myself (of course); hope for my family (of course); hope for my friends (of course). Have hope! Hope is like a tiny battery deep inside that must not fail. If it fails, you do.

Health and Family and Friends. Got ‘em. And thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Simulation is Possible - by Humans

  Human Simulation: Agent-Based Modeling and the Computational Case for Our Reality   1.       Introduction In the essay, we introduce the notion that humanity could be a deliberate simulation based on an extremely simple single-celled organism, hardly anything more complex than that. This will allow an (apparently) new interpretation of the notion that humanity is simulated, but that there is no master engineer at a massive number of dials and switches, responsible for every twist and turn of our universe and lives. We begin with the notion that the universe exists and operates under its own laws. So, given the Earth [2] , when and where life first began, it was infused with a living agent, self-actualized, reproductive, and with other basic rules for its operations, interactions, and much of what single-celled organisms do today. The idea from this occurred some years back when writing code in ActionScript (formerly Flash), I was able to create...

Where is AI (Artificial Intelligence) Going?

  How to view Artificial Intelligence (AI).  Imagine you go to the store to buy a TV, but all they have are 1950s models, black and white, circular screens, picture rolls, and picture imperfect, no remote. You’d say no thanks. Back in the day, they sold wildly. The TV was a must-have for everyone with $250 to spend* (about $3000 today). Compared to where AI is today, this is more or less where TVs were 70 years ago. In only a few decades AI will be advanced beyond comprehension, just like TVs today are from the 50s viewpoint. Just like we could not imagine where the video concept was going back then, we cannot really imagine where AI is going. Buckle up. But it will be spectacular.    *Back then minimum wage was $0.75/hr. Thus, a TV cost more than eight weeks' wages. ------------------------- 

Infinity of Theories

I do love the Stock Markets, all of them.   Why?   Because of the abundance of theories.    Every day, no matter how the market moves there are dozens of pundits offering forth their theory as to why it went down – or up, where it’s going tomorrow or next week, and why it must crash soon or maybe elevate another couple thousand more points.   Ok, this is fine.   But the next day these same folks may expound theories postulating the opposite.   This proves market pundits have no essential understanding of economics as related to the market.   This proves pundits prefer expedience to understanding.   I am constantly besieged by brokerage firms telling me if I would only invest a million, they would help me reach my goals.   If I had this information, how to make a lot of money, I would borrow every cent I could and apply it to making a bunch of money.   I’d not tell a soul. So, why are they trying to help me?   Well, ...