Skip to main content

Google and the Sexist Letter

I’ve been reading about that fellow, James Damore, at Google now fired for his use of sexist language about the skills of computer coding.  He does make some points of interest.

The fact is that women seem to prefer working in more humanist environments – even if very scientific.  Men seem more willing to work in the highly sterile world of pure coding.   Seems to be a fact - as explained to me by a woman electrical engineer.  She ran a summer school workshop for HS students.  One year, building an amplifier was the project.  The girls were not as enthusiastic as the boys.  Next year, the project was a heart monitor – similar electronics.  The girls loved it. She learned a lasting lesson.

Moreover, most women and men cannot endure the world of pure coding.  It is a harsh environment.  Industry should be happy to discover these people wherever they can find them.  Sex, race, or even religion have nothing to do with it!  Expert coding is a very rare skill.  In many cases, it is not one that leads to any higher calling.  For example, when I was a student and learning to code, there was among us a very tall, very thin, fellow that could code like gangbusters.  But he was not social, having little sense of humor, not very interesting, and in fact kind of boring.

My advice to advisors.  Assume not just anybody can be trained to expertise at coding skills.  Some of the smartest people I know cannot code worth a nickel!  I can code somewhat, but for me it has always been a struggle; I am too darn slow to make a living at it.  I can and have designed projects and managed them, but thankfully did not have to write the code.

Coding requires a special type of thinking that proceeds in what I call micro-steps. Most of us think in macro-steps of ordinary social thinking, making it difficult to penetrate or break a thought into a thousand pieces of actual code.  Real coders can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Simulation is Possible - by Humans

  Human Simulation: Agent-Based Modeling and the Computational Case for Our Reality   1.       Introduction In the essay, we introduce the notion that humanity could be a deliberate simulation based on an extremely simple single-celled organism, hardly anything more complex than that. This will allow an (apparently) new interpretation of the notion that humanity is simulated, but that there is no master engineer at a massive number of dials and switches, responsible for every twist and turn of our universe and lives. We begin with the notion that the universe exists and operates under its own laws. So, given the Earth [2] , when and where life first began, it was infused with a living agent, self-actualized, reproductive, and with other basic rules for its operations, interactions, and much of what single-celled organisms do today. The idea from this occurred some years back when writing code in ActionScript (formerly Flash), I was able to create...

No Sympathy From Me

Suicide Coming Home Many years ago, a friend hung himself in his basement.  I was a pall-bearer at his funeral. I was shocked I was so asked.  I did this.  I did not understand why a good-looking fellow, intelligent, kindly, and true could do such a thing. He did. I do not.  His family suffered greatly.  Yet he left no issue.   Thankfully. To my mind Country singer Mindy McCready, 37, showed us the very height of personal selfishness by committing suicide.  By giving birth to two offspring, she accepted the responsibility to raise her newborn and six-year old son.  She abrogated it spectacularly.  (As did the father a month ago.)  Though she may have suffered depression for any number of reasons, she has little sympathy from me for leaving behind a legacy that is now lost, is now parent-less, and may drift into problems of their own in the future.    There is shame and heartbreak in all this, but blame should be...

UNCERTAINTY IS CERTAIN

  Uncertainty is Certain G. Donald Allen 12/12/2024 1.       Introduction . This short essay is about uncertainty in people from both secular and nonsecular viewpoints. One point that will emerge is that randomly based uncertainty can be a driver for religious structure. Many groups facing uncertainty about their future are deeply religious or rely on faith as a source of comfort, resilience, and guidance. The intersection of uncertainty and religiosity often stems from the human need to find meaning, hope, and stability in the face of unpredictable or challenging circumstances. We first take up the connections of uncertainty to religion for the first real profession, farming, noting that hunting has many similar uncertainties. Below are groups that commonly lean on religious beliefs amidst uncertainty.   This short essay is a follow-up to a previous piece on certainty (https://used-ideas.blogspot.com/2024/12/certainty-is-also-emotion.html). U...