Skip to main content

LinkedIn Methods

I am so disappointed in LinkedIn.  It has apparently sent invitations to people not even in my email contacts, but apparently to contacts of contacts. I have tried everything to turn this off.  To me, it is inconceivable that this bodes good will to LinkedIn members.

I have never invited anyone to "join" my network.  Yet I constantly receive invitations.  And now I am making the same - all my without consent - all without my knowledge.  To me, this is an errant business decision by LinkedIn.  What possible good would this be to irritate their members?  Henceforth, I will never accept invitations from anyone I do not personally know.  I am debating on whether to withdraw from LinkedIn altogether.

On a sour note, this seems to be symptomatic of  the global institutional invasion of our personal information and lives. It is so pandemic many do not even respond any more.  Our phone calls, emails, Facebook, twitter information is all recorded and stashed in some cloud of memory, somewhere.

On a note of purely soured resignation - doubly so.  Of course I'm outraged by this action by LinkedIn.  But only a few years ago I would have been totally outraged.  I would have simply quit this social website - and never joined again.  But now it seems I'm habituated to such invasions.  Times, they are a changing - even for us old dogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Simulation is Possible - by Humans

  Human Simulation: Agent-Based Modeling and the Computational Case for Our Reality   1.       Introduction In the essay, we introduce the notion that humanity could be a deliberate simulation based on an extremely simple single-celled organism, hardly anything more complex than that. This will allow an (apparently) new interpretation of the notion that humanity is simulated, but that there is no master engineer at a massive number of dials and switches, responsible for every twist and turn of our universe and lives. We begin with the notion that the universe exists and operates under its own laws. So, given the Earth [2] , when and where life first began, it was infused with a living agent, self-actualized, reproductive, and with other basic rules for its operations, interactions, and much of what single-celled organisms do today. The idea from this occurred some years back when writing code in ActionScript (formerly Flash), I was able to create...

Where is AI (Artificial Intelligence) Going?

  How to view Artificial Intelligence (AI).  Imagine you go to the store to buy a TV, but all they have are 1950s models, black and white, circular screens, picture rolls, and picture imperfect, no remote. You’d say no thanks. Back in the day, they sold wildly. The TV was a must-have for everyone with $250 to spend* (about $3000 today). Compared to where AI is today, this is more or less where TVs were 70 years ago. In only a few decades AI will be advanced beyond comprehension, just like TVs today are from the 50s viewpoint. Just like we could not imagine where the video concept was going back then, we cannot really imagine where AI is going. Buckle up. But it will be spectacular.    *Back then minimum wage was $0.75/hr. Thus, a TV cost more than eight weeks' wages. ------------------------- 

Infinity of Theories

I do love the Stock Markets, all of them.   Why?   Because of the abundance of theories.    Every day, no matter how the market moves there are dozens of pundits offering forth their theory as to why it went down – or up, where it’s going tomorrow or next week, and why it must crash soon or maybe elevate another couple thousand more points.   Ok, this is fine.   But the next day these same folks may expound theories postulating the opposite.   This proves market pundits have no essential understanding of economics as related to the market.   This proves pundits prefer expedience to understanding.   I am constantly besieged by brokerage firms telling me if I would only invest a million, they would help me reach my goals.   If I had this information, how to make a lot of money, I would borrow every cent I could and apply it to making a bunch of money.   I’d not tell a soul. So, why are they trying to help me?   Well, ...