Skip to main content

Vision and Understanding



Vision for the blind

By trade, I am a mathematician.  I can do lots of tricks in math, but only in math.  But there are so many things I just don't know.   Why don't I know?  What prevents me from knowing?  Why can't I answer so many questions?  This has to do with mental capacity, of course.  (See, http://used-ideas.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-teach-ant-how-to-read.html)  Still I keep trying.  This is despite the serious models presented to us by scientists and theologians to help me along. Let me explain understanding through the metaphor of sight. We use this metaphor all the time.  "I see it," is the most familiar expression.  Yet the deeper questions are how clearly you may see it, or how deep is your vision.  Vision-type statements involving understanding include.
·         I see what you mean.
·         It is still fuzzy, but I am getting on to it.
·         I saw through it at once.
·         They recognized the facts of the situation.
·         She has great insight about this mystery.
·         He's very clear-sighted.
·         I saw the change in perception of the public views.
·         I'm unclear about what do.
·         You need a clear understanding to see what the problem actually is.
·         Their motives are so obvious as to be transparent.
·         They turned a blind eye to what was happening there.
·         The whole concept was opaque to us all.
·         The scientist sees things differently from the artist.

When I don't understand, I just can't see it.  I try to see, but cannot.  I recently replaced my flooring with wood.  Love it.  Don't know why I persisted with carpet so long.  The wood is sort of glossy, but not mirrored.  You've seen this, I'm sure.   Consider insight or truth as reflected off this floor - like a TV show. So, looking at the truth-TV show reflected off this glossy wood floor, I see something of an image, something of a show. Nothing is clear.  With sound, I perceive more.  Without sound, I rely only on the reflected image.  That's it, a very poor vision of the reality of what is - the show.  It is a poor form of understanding, being only partial and inaccurate.  At understanding has so many degrees, and sight has so many shades, the one parallels the other quite understandably.

The depth of my vision is thus constrained by my very own sight.  I see only glimmers of what is.  While the reality of what is - is there, the blurriness of my vision and the blurriness of what I see prevents a the clear image.  So, this is the real world.  If I work hard, I can somewhat clarify reality, but this takes time and much effort.

This is the plight of us all as we venture along trying to understand what we cannot. But the lack of understanding, or seeing, or insight, or vision, or clarity is troublesome to the mind. It creates internal conflicts and confusion. Ultimately, we simply believe – or forget about it.   Belief is the fall-back option of the human. Without it we would wither and dither away into paralysis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Simulation is Possible - by Humans

  Human Simulation: Agent-Based Modeling and the Computational Case for Our Reality   1.       Introduction In the essay, we introduce the notion that humanity could be a deliberate simulation based on an extremely simple single-celled organism, hardly anything more complex than that. This will allow an (apparently) new interpretation of the notion that humanity is simulated, but that there is no master engineer at a massive number of dials and switches, responsible for every twist and turn of our universe and lives. We begin with the notion that the universe exists and operates under its own laws. So, given the Earth [2] , when and where life first began, it was infused with a living agent, self-actualized, reproductive, and with other basic rules for its operations, interactions, and much of what single-celled organisms do today. The idea from this occurred some years back when writing code in ActionScript (formerly Flash), I was able to create...

Where is AI (Artificial Intelligence) Going?

  How to view Artificial Intelligence (AI).  Imagine you go to the store to buy a TV, but all they have are 1950s models, black and white, circular screens, picture rolls, and picture imperfect, no remote. You’d say no thanks. Back in the day, they sold wildly. The TV was a must-have for everyone with $250 to spend* (about $3000 today). Compared to where AI is today, this is more or less where TVs were 70 years ago. In only a few decades AI will be advanced beyond comprehension, just like TVs today are from the 50s viewpoint. Just like we could not imagine where the video concept was going back then, we cannot really imagine where AI is going. Buckle up. But it will be spectacular.    *Back then minimum wage was $0.75/hr. Thus, a TV cost more than eight weeks' wages. ------------------------- 

Infinity of Theories

I do love the Stock Markets, all of them.   Why?   Because of the abundance of theories.    Every day, no matter how the market moves there are dozens of pundits offering forth their theory as to why it went down – or up, where it’s going tomorrow or next week, and why it must crash soon or maybe elevate another couple thousand more points.   Ok, this is fine.   But the next day these same folks may expound theories postulating the opposite.   This proves market pundits have no essential understanding of economics as related to the market.   This proves pundits prefer expedience to understanding.   I am constantly besieged by brokerage firms telling me if I would only invest a million, they would help me reach my goals.   If I had this information, how to make a lot of money, I would borrow every cent I could and apply it to making a bunch of money.   I’d not tell a soul. So, why are they trying to help me?   Well, ...